12.20.2007

"The U.S. Solution"

11/2007
24" X 30"
Oil on Canvas

Let me start by saying, our government is showing a bad example! If this was a family rule, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", it would be considered extremely dysfunctional. But some how as an American governmental decision our military allows this behavior. As a group, knowingly, they are sweeping this "problem" under the rug! Are you serious! Am I living in America? I find it intriguing that the military will publicly "use" people, for their services, with which they don't agree. And on top of that, if someone does ask, and someone does tell, they are at fault and will suffer consequences. This is a no win situation. This is not a situation where there will be growth for all mankind, the military is promoting prejudice and promoting lies. If the military is unwilling to be uncomfortable with something they don't understand, they will never evolve past this. This is the tricky line between tolerance and acceptance.
I spent more time on the idea of this painting then on the actual work, it took me about nine hours over a three day period. The image is simple, a gay man in two separate worlds following the rules imposed upon him due to his natural difference from "other" men. What moved me to paint this was an article I read on the front page of USA today about the issue, for some reason, that day it struck me strange. And now I am aware!

No comments: