12.19.2007

"Eyes on You"


10/2007
18" X 24"
Oil on Canvas
"I have eyes in the back of my head", mom said. I know I am not the only one who heard this growing up. Believe it or not, this painting is from an actual photograph of my mother! A few years ago, keep in mind that I am 33 years old, my siblings and I each received a copy of this photograph in the mail. My mom literally cut these eyes out of a picture and taped them to her head. (At least it wasn't the bra over the eyes, superfly! That may be yet to come.) At first I was a little worried about ol' ma and her sanity, but a year or two later when I ran across the picture again, off went the light bulb. I find it amusing and most people can relate to what it represents. I chose the non-descript endless road, as the background, for an analogy of parenthood. I spent about 4 hours on this painting, the majority of time on the large eyes. The results being a successful slice of childhood.

No comments: