1.16.2008

"Alone with his Thoughts"


11/2007
24" X 30"
Oil on Canvas
Everybody, relax, it is a reality, it was on the news! Lots of people felt uncomfortable with this painting, but I picked up the idea out of the daily paper! It's interesting the reaction the subject matter creates in paint vs. print! The priest in this picture was painted in black and white to signify the loss of life in him, except of course the red of his cheeks for lust. On the outside he is giving an oath to god and preaching the word, to the rest of us, but inside his head are the little boys he is preying upon. Not a great subject, I agree, but a reality. My issue, as an artist, came with the background color. Initially it was turquoise, which I should have kept, it read very cold, matching the priests disposition. The red which I chose to cover it with gives a slight warmth to the priest, which he does not deserve. Perhaps I'll go back to it another day! I spent about 10 hours on this piece.

No comments: